Saturday, October 01, 2005

Note to someone

Dear X,

I was feeling the same way you do for the longest time...like, 10 years...I wanted to travel, explore the world, know myself intimately and just grow as a person...and I was "resigned" to being on my own, because I didn't think there was someone who wants these things too. And I was happy.


But about 10 months ago, I met someone who wants the same things and feels as ecstatic as I do about having found a companion to go on this amazing journey with. And the best part? We feel we are one, but on our own, we are stronger individuals too, with our own opinions, views, tastes, habits, hobbies, totally intact. And we manage to keep our personal space. I didn't think it was possible! But there you go...!

I think the ideal relationship is one that doesn't make you compromise who you are but affirms your choices, makes you stronger, pushes you to work harder and make you, yes, want to be the best person you can be.

It makes you drop the destructive behaviour which you cleverly describe as "This is me, take it or leave it', forces you to think for two people instead of one and to make choices that will be the best for YOU, not just you. It makes you do away with pride, which you use as armour but doesn't protect you from anything.

And it makes you feel like you've found a safe corner in a screwed-up world.

I've found mine.

I hope you meet someone, if that's actually what you want. If it doesn't matter, I think you got it right. You should prepare for a lifetime of adventure before you and if someone comes along, he'll just have to sit tight and enjoy the ride.

Good Luck!

6 Comments:

Blogger coralmarine said...

How aptly you put my tots in words. That's how I feel about relationship, too. Being one and being ourselves at the same time. The most important part is wanting to be a better person and good riddance with the destructive/negative behaviour.

10/03/2005 10:48 AM  
Blogger Jean.Chua said...

Does it come naturally to you? I mean, the getting rid of destructive behaviour? I sometimes find it a struggle but it's getting easier.

10/04/2005 3:48 AM  
Blogger coralmarine said...

It came quite easily. But of course a slight struggle in the beginning. Old habits are hard to kick. I used to be very negative and would do things to harm myself. But once you have someone whom you cherish, you learn to cherish yourself more. Even when I'm angry with him, I know I wouldn't want to do anything that'll bring regrets to both of us. So I approach issues in a more positive way. I think it was also partially his reactions that make me kick the bad habits. He showed me things aren't so bad if we approach it in a more constructive manner. it's a struggle to start with, but as you expereince the rewards, it'll come more naturally.

10/04/2005 4:53 AM  
Blogger Jean.Chua said...

That's such great advice...

10/05/2005 2:15 PM  
Blogger Matt's Blog said...

Hello!

I am contacting you because I am working with the authors of a book about blogs, and I'd like to request permission to use the photograph you have posted in this book. Please contact me at mattvid07@gmail.com, and I'd be happy to give you more information about the project. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Matt

9/26/2007 10:22 PM  
Blogger Matt said...

Hello!

I am contacting you because I am working with the authors of a book about blogs, and I'd like to request permission to use the photograph you have posted in this book. Please contact me at mattvid07@gmail.com, and I'd be happy to give you more information about the project. Please indicate the name of your blog in any response. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Matt

12/04/2007 8:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home