Friday, June 03, 2005

A year ago...

Listening to: Fairground Attraction's Ay Fond Kiss

It took me close to a year to earn these people's trust.

And what a year it has been.

Yeap, on 3 June 2004, I walked into the newsroom as an enthusiastic new hire eager to prove herself. Or at least, just wanted to enjoy herself.

It wasn't an easy start. I had a news editor who seemed out to make life difficult for me, for reasons I only recently discovered. And I felt so much pressure; everyone appeared to think I was some hotshot just because I worked for some newspaper in Hong Kong.

And after 6 months of being miserable and doing stuff I wasn't really into, I was offered a gig somewhere else which I accepted.

These people then went on to persuade me to change my mind, offered a raise and a change of responsibility and so I stayed.

Then came another couple of months of struggling to keep my head high, knuckling down and working my butt off. There was some resentment to deal with but I survived.

Then 2005 came and I finally felt that I was beginning to enjoy what I was doing. I started travelling and covering stuff that made me more excited.

And so after a number of false starts, I am here.

I don't know how long I'll stay. All I know is I like it now.

So here's to the 2nd year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home