Friday, October 14, 2005

So, here is the thing about D

When we met, it was indifference at first sight.

It was in the middle of November 2004. I was thinking about ending a relationship that I knew was inappropriate, considering a job offer and looking into moving out - in the midst of going through a company shorthand course. Getting friendly with some random guy was the last thing on my mind; this was some random guy you had to see everyday from 10am-5pm for three weeks.

We didn't even speak until well after the course ended.

It was about two weeks before Christmas, at the paper's party at Thumper. My newly single self crashed the get-together, drank free beers and danced with friends.

And there he was, spunky and friendly. But not so friendly that it's scary. But...maybe it's the lack of alcohol, maybe it's the co-workers.

There was no spark, no fireworks, nada. He was not shy enough, didn't fawn enough, wasn't all over me.

I left, slept, woke up, and went on....for how many days, I don't remember.

Then it happened. The messages on the office system became short walks to get coffee became...a date that wasn't really a date.

I had to run an errand and he came along. And we ended up having drinks at Wala and I would have to be blind and deaf and
dead if I didn't know what was going on.

Yes, he wasn't
shy enough, didn't fawn enough, wasn't all over me. But the words went on and on, it felt like we've been friends for years and we laughed...and laughed and laughed. We got each other's corny references and rude comments. We got each other.

Then he had to go sort out some stuff, during which I got into something I shouldn't have, which I had to go and sort out.

It was horrible and it was messy. And it was Feb 14.

We didn't speak. We did not message, we did not acknowledge each other in the canteen, we did not even bump into each other in the canteen. It was like something knew that we couldn't see each other, so it arranged for our paths not to cross.

I wasn't sure if we were ever going to speak again, and I went on with my life.

Five weeks later, a phone call came and it was like none of the bad stuff happened and no time had passed. "Hello...what are you doing?" became a two hour catch-up session became a proper first date. A date with no baggage, no leftover resentment, no "weird stuff" to deal with. We didn't have to deal with small-talk awkwardness.

And now, seven months later, being us still feels like the most natural, easiest and best thing I've ever done.

Happy anniversary, baby.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jean.Chua said...

Thank you! :) and here's to many more months!

10/21/2005 11:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home