Friday, December 02, 2005

Winter's coming

This is not my first winter but compared with Shanghai's, the cold months of Hong Kong's and Sydney's are nothing.

This weekend, the temperature is going to fall below 5 Celsius and the city authorities are warning people of the "sudden and sharp drop"...considering it was a warm 16 degrees yesterday and a nice 14 Celsius today, yeah, that's scary.

In any case, other than getting used to the weather, I'm coping ok, I think. I'm beginning to get a sense of where's what in Shanghai - I still don't really know how to get around though; I tend to use cabs everywhere, except when I go to work. It's afterall a city of almost 20 million people, and Pudong alone is bigger than Singapore. It's mindboggling.

Some Singaporeans gripe about how rude Shanghainese are, and I must say I haven't really felt it. Most are ok. They also gripe about how dirty the place is and how unpleasant most things are, and I don't know what to say. I reckon if you're going to move overseas - most move here for the "opportunities", i.e. MONEY - then you had better be more open-minded. Say that to them, though, and they wouldn't be very happy. Oh well.

In any case, I must say I am beginning to sorta like Shanghai and settling in, albeit not as quickly as I would like to. There's too much to learn and see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home