Tuesday, November 15, 2005

What's wrong with being a good girl?

So I've been to Catholic/Christian schools all my life - I went to a Catholic primary school and a Catholic secondary school. Even my high school in Perth was an all-girls' boarding college (but I didn't last more than a semester being a boarder and moved out and got my own room - for A$55 a week! in a house after that).

Anyways, this post was a direct result of Daryl asking me what's the naughtiest thing I've ever done in school. I was stumped. I didn't break into the teacher's room at night, I didn't steal my classmates' stuff, I didn't paint shit on the schools' walls, I don't even remember playing truant. Ok, so I've copied my friends' homework, taken the occasional MC-day when I wasn't truly honestly bedridden, and soaked the floors of the homeroom playing water bombs but...who hasn't, right?

So I was hum-ing and haw-ing and that was when I realised I was a good girl and still am one, through and through. The only rebellious thing I have ever done was to quit JC against my parents' (or more specifically, my dad's) wishes and moved to my aunt's the year I turned 17. "I am going to apply to go to poly (vocational school, for the benefit of those outside Singapore) and you can't stop me!" I remember screaming that to my father.

And I got my first job, earning $900 a month, which was a lot of money when you're 16.

Then I studied literature and Asian history in university instead of economics.

So anyway, now I'm wondering if the education system has failed me - I blame YOU! - and turned me into a scaredy cat who doesn't dare to take risks. Sure, I dropped out of JC and had decided, from a very early age, that I was going to pursue a career/life in the arts/writing and not let money be anything significant in my life. I could have been a banker, you know? But...I guess my point is: staying in a good school, studying hard, getting the grades was the safe thing to do and most of my peers did that, I think. Coz "messing with your future" was seriously a stupid thing to do. There is such a thing as rebelling for the sake of it.

Today, I think most of us still wanna beat the so-called unconventional path, picking our battles and fighting The Man in our little ways. We may not have the big stories to tell but the little things are no less significant.

So I am a good girl. Who continues to fight The Man. And I'm proud of it.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I didn't know that you bailed on JC. I think you made the right decision for you. I can't imagine what was the worst thing I did in school -- you know I was in SNGS from 1982-1992, and in CJC after. I'm pretty much a good girl too, I suppose my main problem is I go through self-destructive phases now and again. I hope I'm able to work out what I want to do with my life soon...!i

11/15/2005 8:22 AM  
Blogger Jean.Chua said...

I think I'm too scaredy to go through the self-destructive thing!

11/15/2005 10:26 AM  
Blogger Home again said...

Just knew you quit JC for Poly. That means JC don't offer art classes? I am as clueless as last time.

On hindsight, I was a goody two shoes too. I only skipped boring classes or when I was forced to (like how SNG stamped "PLEASE BE PUNCTUAL" on my report book). Yup. Missed classes to avoid a repeated stamp.

11/16/2005 7:47 AM  
Blogger Jean.Chua said...

No, I actually quit JC at half-time and worked for six months before going to Perth for my Year 12. That's like JC 2 la. :)

11/16/2005 9:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home