Sunday, November 06, 2005

Screw "hard work"

Ugly-ly ever after...!

Here are the stats - I was looking through my contact lists and found that about 8 out of 10 of my secondary school friends are married, some with a couple of kids. And now...
Ann is due before the end of the year, Rita is getting hitched next March and I think I'll be getting news from Angie some time next year too.

Then there are certain people in my life who are divorced, not happy with their marriages or have somehow decided that marriage is not for them. Here is my take about eight months ago. I don't know if meeting Daryl has changed my mind; I think not. I still think it is a huge, frightening, risky step to take, and that for it to work, both parties have to want the same thing.

This is not the same as "hard work", though...people always say "relationships are hard". Being with someone "is hard". "Don't expect it to be easy." But I always think "but relationships are not supposed to be hard!" Yes, I think it takes some compromise but on the other hand, I wonder why people stay in relationships that take so much work that they give them no joy and are apparently a chore to them? Maybe they love the drama of fights and (blind) sacrifice and tears and screaming - they think their love story is not a great one otherwise - but nuh-uh, not me. I don't wanna be a martyr of love. I think that's stupidity.

Gimme an easy relationship any day. And when this becomes "difficult", maybe it's time to call it a day.

7 Comments:

Blogger coralmarine said...

Same sentiments. R/s shouldn't be hard, if it gets to that stage...something must be done.

11/07/2005 7:24 AM  
Blogger Jean.Chua said...

Hear, hear!

So why do most people say relationships are hard?????????? Am I missing something here?

11/08/2005 12:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't forget me. I'm not married.

Relationships are not hard, but they require maintenance.

11/08/2005 8:34 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

I guess I have to agree with Andrea. Relationships need to be maintained and not taken for granted. But from my very little "experience", when maintenance is all you do, some rethinking DOES need to be done. An enjoyable relationship is the best thing to look forward to everyday when you come home (or when he does) from work. ;)

11/09/2005 8:52 AM  
Blogger Jean.Chua said...

Of course I haven't forgotten you, Andrea. We're the last few left!

And yeah, I agree with everything here la.

11/09/2005 10:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unless of course you enjoy the 'maintenance'! Heheheheheh *wink wink*

11/10/2005 7:21 AM  
Blogger Jean.Chua said...

Hehehehehe ;)

11/10/2005 8:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home