Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Singapore Dreaming

I'm doing my part to promote local film.

I must say I haven't watched that many local movies; I haven't seen a single Jack Neo work and the last local movie I saw was Eric Khoo's Be With Me. It wasn't that great, imho, despite the accolades and hype.

So I was pleasantly surprised by Singapore Dreaming, a very decent effort by the husband-and-wife team of Colin Goh and The Wife (Those of you who read his Sunday Times columns will get the reference. And sorry, Mrs Goh aka Woo Yen Yen!).

The plot is nothing new and there are no surprises, but you'll be touched by the heartfelt story-telling and just how sincere the whole movie came across. It wasn't artsy-pretentious. There was no Singaporean pretending that he/she has spoken American/British English all his/her life. There was a whole lotta Hokkien and Chinese thrown in. And yes, a lot of Singlish. (If you don't know yet, I l-o-v-e Singlish.)

Please go and watch it...to support local film. If not, just go and see a glimpse of yourself on the big screen.

1 Comments:

Blogger Home again said...

I heard about the show too. I will just have to wait for the dvd to be out.

9/16/2006 3:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home